Saturday, August 10, 2013

Family Day



Originally we planned to leave to see Bentley around 10:30 or so, but Jungyoon’s Grandmother wanted to meet me and her mom had to stop over at her Grandma’s, so we went there earlier instead. Her grandmother was so sweet and cute when she greeted me. She gave me a big hug and said she recognized me from pictures. Jungyoon’s aunt was there too. She had made some dolls out of character socks and let me pick one to have. We left and her Grandma waved to us from out the window—she called down to us getting in the car. Jungyoon said ever since she was little, her Grandma always made a big deal of saying goodbye. 

We went to McDonald’s to get Bentley a hamburger, but it was so early they only had the breakfast menu, so we got breakfast sandwiches instead. We arrived at his military base and Jungyoon signed in for us. Then the office calls to Bentley and he has to take a shuttle bus to the meeting place. He arrived finally and looked much older with his short military haircut and because he lost some weight. Jungyoon’s mom could only stay a little while because she had to go back and help prepare for the Grandma’s birthday. Jungyoon and I visited with Bentley for almost 4 hours. We also ordered fried chicken to have for lunch. 

Around 3:15 we said our goodbyes and headed to the hair salon. I got my hair cut and permed and Jungyoon got her hair trimmed. I think it turned out pretty well. It took a really long time at the hair salon and when we were finished Jungyoon and I walked to her house. We had enough time to cool off and then we went to pick up her cousin and aunt to take to the restaurant for Grandma’s birthday. 

When we arrived at the restaurant, there were extended family members there—wives and sons/daughters/children in laws of her grandfather. Her grandfather and grandmother arrived and then her grandfather’s brother as well. We grilled samgypsal (pork) and then also had galbi (another kind of meat). There was so much food! After Koreans finish grilling, they will usually get a stew and rice (and in the summer neygmyeon—which is noodle soup, cold with ice in it); Jungyoon and I both passed because we were so full. Towards the end of the meal and before the after stew/soups came, some of the older relatives started singing and dancing a little. They made me stand up and I had to pick a Korean song to sing. The only one I really knew was a song I learned at Inje University. It was pretty ugly. Then it was time to leave and we sent off all the older relatives; Jungyoon, her cousin and I walked back home. We stopped at Baskin Robbins for ice cream to go. When Jungyoon and I got home, we watched some tv. There is a popular show right now with celebrity dad’s and their child(ren). They go on little trips/adventures with little competitions or tasks to complete. One actor is from a drama my mom and I watched together.
Grandma waving goodbye!
Inside the meeting room--the only place the guys can meet friends or family members on base
Bentley!
Jenny, Bentley and me
Bentley reunited with his sock from America!
Jenny, Bentley, me and "Mom"
Saying bye to Bentley
Family
Jenny's family--the man on the left is Jenny's dad
Grandfather singing 


Jenny and me--new hair do's!
Jenny's Aunt
Jenny's Great Uncle and her Grandpa
Jenny's Grandma, me and her Aunt
Jenny, her Grandpa and me

No comments:

Post a Comment