Sunday, August 18, 2013

Start of Orientation

I left the guesthouse this morning and got a cab to Seoul Station. It was a lot cheaper than I was expecting so that was nice. I arrived at the station and had to find the express rail to Incheon Airport. I was pretty lucky because I didn't realize it had a light schedule of trains and only waited 10 minutes; if I had been 11 minutes late, I wouldn't have departed Seoul until 10:30. (My goal was to arrive at the airport at 11--and I was at the EPIK desk at 11:05) Anyway, the express rail was nice--if I don't have anyone to take me to/from the airport ever, I would use that I think. It was around 5,000W maybe so a lot less expensive than a limousine bus.

I found the EPIK desk--alllll the way at the other end of the airport. I 'checked in' and waited for a bus to arrive; about 20 teachers got on the bus and it was about 1 1/2 hours to ride to the university we're staying at (Daejin University), north of Seoul. We arrived and did registration. We got our name tags that we are required to wear 24/7, a room key/dormitory assignment, a goodie bag (with a regular sized towel!, two hand towels, a tshirt, water bottle, adapter, soap, toilet paper, and our 'textbook') and a map of our dormitory. Then back on the bus to get dropped off at our dorms. The male students are in one dormitory and the females are all together in another.

My roommate was the young woman standing in line behind me-her name is Kim and she's from Vancouver. We settled in a little and unpacked. Someone knocked on our door--it was a few other of the girls and they wanted to go find the convenience store on campus. I remembered seeing one close to our dorm so we went there, but it was closed. There was also one under the men's dorm so we walked waaay over there and grabbed some food to have for the week that we're here.

Dinner was at 6:30. My roommate and I went down a little before 6:30 with the girls next door-Debbie and Gabriella. We got our food and sat down. All of a sudden there was a huuuge line--the guys had all arrived all at once (the coordinators/workers walked them over to the cafeteria). So we lucked out in beating the gigantic rush. There was salad, kimchi, some acorn jelly salad, fish sticks (but not in sticks, but that kind of fish), pork bulgogi, rice, fish soup, watermelon and black tea. If you know me well, you can probably guess what I ate. We stayed in the dining hall for awhile, chatting with people around us. Then we came up and showed each other pictures of our families and doggies.

Just going to be hanging out until I feel tired. Tomorrow breakfast is served between 7:30-8:40. But we don't have anything until 10. So I've decided if I wake up in time for breakfast I'll go, otherwise I will just have a yogurt drink and be ready for the campus tour at 10.

Last pit stop before I get my apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment