I had to come to work today, while almost all other teachers and staff did not. My coteacher (EunHee) doing camp with me also was at school as was Alex Teacher (she was busy doing other school work). I had some minor frustrations working my computer; it wouldn't connect to the printer so I hopped from computer to computer only to discover most aren't equipped with Microsoft Word. Finally I found one and was able to print worksheets and other materials for camp.
EunHee Teacher and I were able to have a "camp" lunch, from the camp budget, so we went to a restaurant near school. We were going to go to Berezza, a popular Italian place frequented by many teachers, but yesterday I had seen a new restaurant called Ten Bistro just a few doors down and suggested that. It was also an Italian restaurant, with pizza, pasta and salads. The inside was pretty contemporary and modern inside with plain walls and light bulbs hanging from the ceiling and a big chandelier. The pasta and salad were mediocre, but the pizza was actually quite good! I was impressed.
After lunch, EunHee teacher needed to go to a nearby bakery to discuss camp snacks with the shopkeeper, so I tagged along. I also treated her to coffee while we were there. We sat and chatted for a little before returning to school to finish work.
When the work day was over, I headed to Sinchon and decided I'd walk there (it takes just a little over an hour). I arrived a few minutes before my meeting time with Alex. He and I had joked about meeting at 6:41 so that when he finally arrived and we made eye contact, he covered his face and walked away saying that we couldn't meet yet because it was too early.
I finally found someone as indecisive as I am! I gave 3 options for dinner and we finally selected the Cuban restaurant I'd been wanting to try. Once we got there, it took us a long time to pick a dish to share. We finally settled on a pulled pork dish that came with a bunch of sides, including yucca, which lead to some research about what it was. It, for the record, tasted and looked a lot like potatoes. The meal was pretty good, I'd be happy to go back and try something else, especially the Cuban sandwich.
After we finished eating, we sat and talked for a bit. I was right next to the windows (they were covered so you couldn't see outside) but I could hear the rain coming down. I've truly turned Korean. When it's hot I want to eat nengmyeon (a cold noodle soup) and when it rains I want to drink makgoli (a kind of rice wine) and eat jeon (a kind of savory pancake). Hearing the rain, I asked Alex if he had tried makgoli yet. Since he hadn't I suggested a place that was just down the street, so off we went into the rain.
Inside, the place was pretty crowded with young adults, affirming my desire to drink makgoli. Again, we came to a tough decision narrowing down what kind of makgoli to order. We finally chose strawberry banana. The server told me we also had to order anjoo (a side dish) and I picked a kimchi cheese jeon. When he set it down in front of us, I got a bit worried as it smelled strongly of seafood. That was confirmed when I saw bits of octopus, shrimp and crab inside. *sigh* I tried picking out some of the bits, like the octopus (easy to spot) but the crab was harder to get out. So I probably ate the most seafood ever in this jeon. After we finished our drinks, we parted ways and I took the bus home.
No comments:
Post a Comment