Here I am another few months later, trying to play catch up again...
Today was a very sad, difficult day at school. I had the first last classes with some of my students. I had been prepared for two of them. My 5th grade coteacher told me we would be finishing our semester classes with them so we planned a lesson special for the occasion. First we started by telling them I was leaving and they asked me questions about why and such. Then we let them write some letters to me and say whatever they wanted to. That took most of the class as they were decorating their papers as well as writing. As they were working, I walked around and took some photos with each group.
My other 5th grade coteacher came to class and told me she didn't realize but it would be the last class for our students too! We had planned to teach a song (I had picked "Let it Be") so we started class and told them it was my last class. They then practiced the song and Alex Teacher recorded it as a parting gift for me. Now, I was feeling a bit sad after saying bye to the first 2 classes, but I was doing alright. As the 3rd class was finishing, I noticed one girl was teary eyed and sniffling which made me start feeling pretty sad. We had the students line up as usual to head out the door where I always say goodbye to them and I noticed a lot of the girls were looking pretty gloomy. I decided to send the boys line back to class first. When the girls line started to leave, each girl gave me a hug and many of them were crying and sniffling. Which tugged at my heart and I couldn't help it but by the time the last one had gone I was crying as well.
The last 5th grade class came and they announced as they walked in, "all the girls from class 5-2 are crying!" This class is made up of very bright, cheerful students; they luckily did not cry at all and were acting their funny selves while singing which helped a lot.
After work, I stopped home briefly and then headed to Hongdae. There was an adoptee I had met earlier in the week, Michael and he was having a going away get together. First we went to get BBQ for dinner. After dinner, we went to the Beastro for a few classy drinks. We stayed there and chatted a bit. It was a big and pretty mixed group. We had Ashley, another adoptee from MN and her language partner friend Kyung Chan; Kjersti and her son Philip from Norway; Kris an adoptee from NY, Charles an adoptee from CA and Orjan also from Norway. It's always fun meeting people from all over!
Next we headed to a Western pub, Mikes Cabin. There we were able to sit and talk, play foosball and dance. A few more of Mike's friends joined as well; another CA adoptee and one from OH.
No comments:
Post a Comment