Friday, August 23, 2013

Finally Friday...

Even though today is Friday, it still feels like we're just trudging through. Tomorrow is yet another full day of lectures and Sunday is the big presentation day plus meeting with our school representatives. Monday is departure day.

In the morning chunk we had lesson planning preparation. We were guided by the woman who is going to be assessing us and it was quite helpful to have her input and have her talk with us as we were creating our objectives and building our lesson. After lunch, back to lectures. Both speakers were very entertaining and gave a lot of really great suggestions and ideas. One was a Korean co-teacher and one teacher in our class is actually her co-teacher! It must have been cool for him to meet his co-teacher early. The second lecture was about classroom management and was also quite entertaining. The teacher was really great. When the first lecture began, I saw a call coming through on my phone--it was my co-teacher! I didn't know what to do, but figured it was more important to sit through the lecture so I declined the call. She called back again! Again I had to decline the call and because I didn't know what else to do, I sent her a text message and told her I was in class.


After dinner, I just relaxed before Korean class--the final one. Eun Suk, my co-teacher called me and I got to talk to her for a few minutes. It turns out our principal is going to be picking me up on Monday because she is working and can't come! It's a little nerve wracking to know I will have 2 hours in the car with the principal--plus I don't know how much English he knows! I asked a question about my 'apartment' as a general term and she responded that it's not an apartment, but an "officetel" which is kind of like a studio and is only 4 stories.

Korean class was fun--we had Hee Su, the Head Team Leader teach our class. He came in and talked about manners and showed us Busan dialect and the difference between it and Seoul. He singled me and a Korean-Canadian and said our school community will expect us to know all the manners because we are "Korean". We had a small party with snacks and OJ to celebrate our last meeting. After class, I walked back with the girl and she asked me what kind of last name I had--she said typically Korean last names are all one syllable: Kim, Park, Lee, Jung, Kwon.... I jokingly asked "you've never heard Anselmino before?" And she answered, "no!" Then I explained that I'm adopted. But it was kind of funny. While walking back we also ran across a big toad on the sidewalk. It reminded me when Emily, Jung Yoon (Jenny) and I were walking around Inje University campus and saw the big toad.
Last Korean Class Party

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, grandpa and I just read your last blog post. We hope you have a great first day teaching. Love Phil and Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Who are the 2 blond women in the "Last Korean Class Party" photo? The one on the right reminds Mike a little of Aunt Judy. 2. When you were in a training class and began receiving co-teacher cell phone calls, you handled the situation well. Love, Aunt Ruth and Mike.

      Delete
    2. They're names are Jessica and Christina, they are other English teachers. One is going to Seoul and I'm not sure where the other one will be. I only spent 3 class sessions with them and did not get to know them very well.

      Delete