Tuesday, August 27, 2013

First Big Day at School

While I walked to school, I actually ran into a student that recognized me and bowed to me. I had more free time in the morning so I planned a little. Then at 11:30 I went to observe in a 6th grade class. I think it's funny that whenever the students answer a question, they must stand up. This class was quite chatty, so I know I will have to set some ground rules with them. However, it's difficult because I'm actually coming into the 2nd semester with them. After that, I went to lunch with that coteacher, JinYoung and met some of the other teachers there as well.

In the afternoon I spent more time working on plans. I have to stay til 4:40. My schedule is different every day; I have 8 different 6th grade classes that I meet twice a week and 7 5th grade classes that I meet only once a week. Friday is my heaviest day, with 6 classes, most of them are only 4 classes. The school system is very different from ours. They have 40 minute periods for each subject--from 9-2:30. (So a subject teacher like myself at most would teach 6 classes and be done teaching by 2:30, but has to stay til 4:40 working or planning). Homeroom teachers have to be at school by 8:30 I believe--I'm supposed to arrive at 8:40. I think that covers the school information/schedule stuff.

After school I walked to the Daiso (dollar store) and got some things for my room, including a shower curtain. My grandpa and dad would be so proud of my engineering ideas. I got hooks to hang on the wall and door in the bathroom to put the curtain up. When I returned to my place, I see the directions for the hooks is to use a lighter to melt the sticky stuff (it wasn't just like a sticker to peel off). Since I don't smoke I started to feel very disappointed thinking I wouldn't be able to hang up my curtain. Then I realized I have my burner I can use! So I did that and voila! Shower curtain up. Iwas supposed to meet my new adoptee friend Giovanni. He's from Italy and I met him at a few things during IKAA Gathering. However, I was just feeling a bit down and didn't think I could go out and be with people. I stayed in; actually I went to the E-Mart and wandered around scoping out different items before heading back to finish unpacking and organizing my things.

1 comment:

  1. 1. That's a lot of classes to meet with. 2. That was a clever term that we never heard before: "shopping" as "retail therapy." Love,
    Aunt Ruth and Mike.

    ReplyDelete