Thursday, August 8, 2013

Jinju Day!

I woke up early--I couldn't sleep. Excited to travel to Jinju and see Jungyoon (Jenny)!!! Bohye's mom made 게란 말이 keran mari (egg omelet rolled up and mixed with tuna and green onions). Bohye and her mom both said I'd be fine to leave at 10, but I wanted to leave at 9:30 even though my bus left at 11:30. I was concerned about carrying my bags through the subway and making a transfer as well as finding where I was supposed to go at the bus terminal. As it was I ended up running to make one connection and arrived at the bus station about 30 minutes early. It was good though because I needed to show my receipt and get a ticket printed out.

Then it was time! I boarded my bus and was on my way to Jinju! I slept for a little bit and then we came to a rest stop. I got out and stretched. Back on the bus for another hour and some; I fell asleep again and woke about 10 minutes before we arrived in Jinju. Jungyoon told me that she and her mom were waiting for me at the bus station. I arrived and found Jungyoon right away. :) We got in their car and her mom took us to lunch. We had samgyetang, which is a chicken soup--it's a little tiny chicken stuffed with ginger and rice. It's a special summer soup and you are supposed to have it 3 times in the summer for good health. After lunch we went back to the bus station so I could buy a return ticket to Seoul for Sunday. Jungyoon's mom was so generous and paid for my bus ticket!! We went to a grocery store and got some ice cream and then went to a movie. We saw "Snow Piercer" (I forgot the Korean name). It's about these people on a train because the world froze when they tried to use some kind of chemical to fight global warming. Anyway the movie was really violent because the (poor) people in the back of the train had a revolution and was trying to get control of the engine which was in the front of the train and controlled by the few rich in the front. It was an interesting movie.

After the movie, we went to get dinner. We had kimbap and ramen. When we finished eating, we took a bus back to Jungyoon's house. I met her dad and then we hung out a little before getting ready for bed.
At the bus station

Jinju here I come!!

Samgyetang

We don't really like ginger!

1 comment:

  1. Even though South Korea fought a tough war and has been threatened by the Communist gov't of N. Korea ever since, it's creepy that there are movie-makers (and writers, & college profs--in S. Korea and the U.S).--who imply that the Communists are right--that there's a natural war between the rich and poor (as if there's no one in between, economically) and that the rich are always trying to get rid of the poor. If this were true, where would rich people find workers to operate their farms and factories? (Regarding the movie "The Snow Piercer"). Love, Ruth and Mike.

    ReplyDelete