Wednesday, August 7, 2013

New Friends

When I had gone to bed, Bohye had mentioned she'd ask a friend at morning service if she was available to meet with me during the day. At first she said no, she wouldn't be able because she had other plans but then said it would be okay. So after having jjim dak (a chicken and noodle type stew) prepared by Bohye's mom, I went to go meet her friend. Hyunha met me near Bucheon station and her friend Seonhye joined us as well. Seonhye traveled in Canada for a year so her English was pretty good. At first, our plan was to go to Insadong but then we decided because it was so hot outside we didn't want to do anything that required being outdoors for a long period. So we rode the subway and tried to figure out where to go. Everywhere they suggested, I had already been to or seen. They both really wanted to take me somewhere I hadn't been to already. I suggested Seoul History Museum because I know they have special exhibits that change frequently so we went there. Unfortunately, they were in the middle of changing to a new exhibit! We stayed at the museum for a short time and then went to Yeoido area and decided we'd take a river cruise. Seonhye was kind of against it because she thought it would be too hot, but Hyunha really wanted to go and since I haven't really been on a boat cruise she wanted to take me.

On the way to the boat station, Hyunha had called to find out what time the boat left; we had only a few minutes to get the ticket before the boat departed--we barely made it. The boat was really cute and had air conditioning inside in the lower cabin part. We went outside and took some pictures. There was a little bit of a breeze outside but it was still quite warm. After the boat cruise we went to get chicken. The girls had been so nice and paid for everything so I paid for the chicken--they were both upset and gave me money so we ended up just splitting it 3 ways. When we finished eating, we got the subway and Hyunha and I took off to church for an evening service. We met Bohye there-she had to be at church early to play the piano. After service Bohye, Hyunha and 2 high school girls and I went to a noodle place for dinner.

I made sure to pack up all my bags. I'll be leaving my 2 big suitcases and a few other small bags that I have already acquired in my few days here at Bohye's and will not retrieve until I get my home (about 3 weeks).

Seoul Museum of History--miniature scale of Seoul
Hyunha running to get the boat ticket--63 building in the background
On the boat tour
Seonhye, me and Hyunha on the boat cruise
Bohye, Hyunha and the two high school students--and our dinner!

1 comment:

  1. 1.That was quite a comment about your knowledge of the Seoul area: "Everything they suggested I had already been to or seen." 2. There's still some suspense in your in-country travels: barely missing a (train?); barely missing an excursion boat. Love, Ruth and Mike.

    ReplyDelete