Today was probably one of the roughest days I've had in Korea. Again I worked on lesson plans in the morning and went to observe another 6th grade class. They were better than the previous class I saw. After class, I went to lunch. I talked with one of the coteachers about my lesson plan ideas. I said I wanted the students to make nametags to have on their desks to help me learn their names. She continued to argue with me saying my idea wouldn't work and it was a bad idea. She had made a seating chart with their names written in it and told me I would use that. I know it was just a little itty bitty miniscule thing, but I think I just needed to have something in control and to me just a little thing like having nametags didn't seem like such a big deal. Anyway, I had tears start to well up in my eyes and I wanted to wipe it away discreetly, but lo and behold, that small movement made the flood gates open and there I was, sitting at the lunch table with my 2 teachers bawling my eyes out. She asked me what was wrong and I tried to explain that it's just a little overwhelming and a lot to take in. That this system is so different it's a lot to get used to. She immediately criticized me and told me I must be a sad person all the time. I tried to defend myself, again explaining it's a big change to move 6,000 miles away from everything I know and even though I've been to Korea 8 times it's completely a different experience working there. She was adamant that I'm a sad person. My other coteacher said that she felt I am a very positive person and also suggested I just need time. I wanted to hug her. She had to run off to her class so I had to sit with this teacher another 10 minutes with her lecturing me about how I need to tell her everything on my mind and if I have a disagreement to tell her and when I feel sad or upset to tell her. Over and over.
The saving grace is that today was the day my F4 Visa was ready to pick up. (Since I lost my old card and the one being reissued was ready) The visa is very important so I was given permission to leave school on "official leave" to get the visa. I left around 3:30 and was supposed to take a bus near the school to the immigration office. Me being the stubborn one, wanted to take the subway and find the other subway line near the school. Well, me also being the not very directionally minded when reading a map...got a bit lost and ended up taking a very long route to end up at the subway station near my apartment. I actually passed it, probably 15 minutes after when I would have been by it... So I hopped on the subway and got to the office. It was like a breath of fresh air to be back in "Seoul" and know where I was and how I was going there...
I entered the office and...wow, there were sooooo many people there! I looked at the ticket machine and saw that they were not taking any more numbers! I was worried and didn't know what to do, but I figured I didn't need a number to pick up my card--the only problem is that I needed to update my address. When I applied for the reissued card 2 weeks ago I didn't know where I would be living so I used the address of KoRoot. I needed to change my address and I was worried about how to manage that (my coteacher didn't come with me--if you didn't already guess by me not taking the bus AND getting lost trying to find the subway...) alone with no Korean. Anyway, I picked up my card by showing my receipt and then asked to change my address. The lady told me "7" meaning the 7th booth for F4 Visas. I walked that way and heard my name. A few other EPIK teachers I knew were there. The one said she had arrived shortly before me and talked to another teacher who arrived there around 10:30 and already they had the sign that they were not taking any more numbers! She and I chatted a little and she left because there was no point in her hanging around there. I was watching booth 7 and no one was really going there so I decided I would just go talk to the person. The lady gave me a form to fill out; while I was filling it out a few people talked with her so I had to wait for them. Then I returned it and waited about 5 minutes for the address to be printed on the back of my card and I was done.
I went shopping--retail therapy... But actually the original goal was to find a birthday present for Bohye. I just got a little side tracked and found a nice pair of heels and a dress/shirt for myself. Along with nail polish and a shirt for Bohye. I wanted some comfort food and knew there was a Pita Pit (sandwiches on pita bread--I get this when I visit Joe in Kalamazoo) in the area. Unfortunately I took the looong way there but I guess I got extra walking it. I ordered my food and then went to Cheonggyecheon to sit and eat. Then I went to meet Giovanni. I figured I was close to where he is staying at KoRoot we could meet. I picked a place near the subway entrance because he had a stroke last year and walks with a little limp; I wanted it to be easy for him to get around and not walk too much. We went to Paris Baguette and had some bread and coffee. We chatted for about 2 hours. He told me that he has a pastor friend that might be able to help try to get more information about my birthmom and maybe even something about my birthfather. After coffee, he was hungry-I was still full, but I helped him find a restaurant to have dinner at since he doesn't speak Korean. I took the subway back but got off a stop too early and transferred lines so that I had to go an extra few stops. Not a big deal but when I was feeling so tired and ready to be 'home' I had to be on the subway for another 10 minutes.
?Is there any way in which you could secretly inquire about getting a replacement for that older co-teacher who has already misjudged your personality? I would think that South Koreans wouldn't want Americans to travel 6,000 miles to Korea and live there for a year, only to receive a bad impression of Korea from an odd person whom they should probably retire. (You might want to consult with your mother about this. No one should make a big move based only on my suggestion). Cousin Mike.
ReplyDelete