Nothing too special at work today. It was fun seeing my little 4th graders again. Some of the boys who were in summer camp and already know me kind of showed off to their classmates that they knew me so it was entertaining.
At the end of the day we had a staff dinner. We went to Gyeonggi-do (the province surrounding Seoul) to an area called Seollung. Last year we also went to this area, so I thought we were going to the same restaurant (and I was very excited because it was some of the most delicious meat BBQ I've had here) but was very disappointed when we pulled up to a different place. I rode in the car with my 4th grade COT who drove and a few other teachers.
The dinner was pretty good. There were lots and lots of side dishes all leading up to a bulgogi (beef) stew. I think they brought out at least 5 or 6 small "main" dishes before the final one. My principal went around to some of the new teachers, wanting to do a shot of soju with them and he also asked me if I wanted one. It's generally considered rude to turn down a drink (especially from a boss or higher up) so I complied. After eating, we did a kind of poem "game". They took the name of each new staff member and broke it down into the 3 characters (for example my Korean name is Kim, Jong Hee) and then started a sentence with each of the characters (so going with my example there would be one sentence starting "Kim", the next "Jong" and the last "Hee) I of course couldn't really participate but my 4th grade COT, Alex thought it would be funny to make a really sweet one to the new vice principal and sign my name. She translated it to me and had me write the English. Basically the poem went something like "the first time I saw you my heart started beating faster, I couldn't believe you were here. Is it destiny?" The next part of the game required teachers taking the papers out of a box and reading them aloud to the new staff member and then an exchange of sorts in Korean. Well, when they finally read mine I had to go up in front of everyone, but couldn't say anything at all. Just some awkward bowing and shook hands with the vice principal.
After dinner, my COT dropped people off which was nice. I had planned on walking back because it was around 2 or 3 miles. The rest of the evening I worked out an itinerary for my Mom's upcoming visit!
No comments:
Post a Comment