Sunday, March 15, 2015

On the Hunt

A typical Sunday morning--headed to church and had mass.

After church, I was on a mission. I wanted to find the perfect Easter brunch spot for when Mom comes. I walked from Hannam to Noksapyeong (which I normally do anyway) but I went up and down side alleys and through back streets scouring menus and scrutinizing the interiors of restaurants. As I went along, I snapped photos of places and menus making notes of them. By the time I finished, I had a big list of restaurants that would be nice not only for Easter brunch, but that I would like to try in the future. My next task was lunch. I wasn't feeling that hungry and I was also thinking that I hadn't eaten Korean food in quite some time. So I decided to head home first and go from there.

When I got off the subway, I saw a poster for a restaurant that I had noticed quite a few months ago but never got a chance to go and try their food. Even better, I had been thinking about eating jjoelmyeon (a chewy noodle dish with spicy sauce and fresh vegetables) and that was on the menu for that restaurant. I glanced at the poster and went out the exit. Except I hadn't paid close attention to which direction I should go specifically. I figured I'd walk a little bit and should stumble upon it. Instead, I found a dog cafe (no, they don't eat dogs here) called Bichon. This place had grooming on the first floor, a cafe with Bichons on the second floor (bring your own or meet the live in crew!) and a hotel for Bichons in the basement. Wow. I checked it out and then took off. I ended up going back into the subway to try and figure out where exactly the restaurant was located. After getting the information I found it very easily.

I looked at the menu and they had the jjoelmyeon or jjoelmyeon plus mandu for an extra 500W. While it's only an extra 50 cents or so, I decided I'd get my noodles to go and make my own mandu at home. I returned home with my food and made mandu and watched some tv before packing up for soccer. It was nice out and kind of warm, but not as nice as last week.

In April we are having a kind of tournament playing against parents of domestically adopted kids. This week, the families all came so we could practice and scrimmage against each other. They told us we should be gentle and play softly. Eirik scoffed and said there's no such thing as that in soccer. At first we really crushed them-making goals left and right. Then they called in for backup and some of their sons (high schoolish aged) arrived and hopped in relieving the older dads. They were decent and gave a little bit more of a challenge, but it was still a walk in the park for us. I saw how good we were at passing and making good plays. Also unusual for us, they wanted to play for 20 minutes and then take a 5 minute break. We were all kind of antsy and didn't like having to stop and rest. Some of the guys were annoyed and also annoyed at the sportsmanship of some of the opponents-they were pushing on us, but complained if we pushed back. Oh well, it's all for fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment