Friday, December 19, 2014

TGIF

Yesterday, my 6th grade COT informed me that we won't really have many classes with our 6th graders when we return from break! Actually, it seems like I might not see 2 of my 7 classes with her again before they graduate! It's bittersweet-I don't mind terribly, but there is always something a bit sad in transitions and change. It's also my second year teaching these kiddos and some of the kids in those classes were my favorite or I got to know a little bit more in the past year.

Anyway, with all that in mind, now until the end of the school year (mid-February) is going to be quite a breeze. I love the second semester of the school year here. So next week I only teach 7 classes; and by teach I mean introduce some vocabulary for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and watch the movie. The rest of the week I will be enjoying sand, surf and sun in Cebu, Philippines. The following week gives me 3 days at work to prep for winter camp and then another vacation off to Hong Kong with my friend Mike for 5 days. When I return, I have 2 weeks of winter camp (which is easy as pie; max 10 students for 3 hours and another 2 hours of prep work). After winter camp, 9 days in Thailand with my friend OhMee. When we return for the final weeks of our school year, I have the week in January and one, maybe two weeks of instruction in February. Here I have another 2 weeks of vacation time, with 3 days of holidays within that time. I have an option of taking 7 days of my vacation or some of those days as deskwarming. We'll have to see what shakes out, but I'm looking at another big trip then. *Teachers Bliss* (In case you were very concerned about my workload in the coming weeks)

My 6th grade COT asked me to help with a project she had with her Masters (PhD?) course. I had to read and record passage for her. I did that earlier in the week. She also had asked me to help grade some writing tests to give the best feedback to the students. I finished those corrections and went to return them to her. She gave me a gift card to Starbucks as a "thank you", which, I told her, was perfect because Starbucks is really the only place I can go for coffee because of the soymilk! She was pleased with her good choice.

After work, I came home to unwind for a little bit. I decided I would get dinner at the falafel place since it had been awhile since I ate there last. I was shocked to see its door closed and all boarded up. Maybe they are remodeling inside? I hope that is all and that it will reopen soon. :( I went to Oodle Noodle instead for dinner. Next was on to a Christmas party. There's a newer organization called Seoul Sync that has events and other information about things happening in Seoul. I saw an open invitation for their Christmas party online and figured I'd check it out. It was held at a bar called Mikes Cabin in Hongdae. I went and was really the only person from the community; the rest were all staff members or volunteers of the organization. Even still, everyone was nice and friendly and I enjoyed meeting some new people. There was a raffle and I was one of the lucky winners! I got a voucher to use a taxi service. I stayed until midnight so I could take the subway home. It was snowing out when I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment