Monday, January 19, 2015

Cooking class and reunited with Oh Mee

Today was my Thai cooking class. I was picked up and joined a group of about 9 other people. First we all picked the dishes that we wanted to cook. That gave our instructor an idea of how many ingredients of what she needed to buy. While she collected the ingredients her friend explained about different vegetables to us in the market. Then it was off to the cooking studio to begin our work!
Explaining different vegetables
First up was our stir-fry dish. I picked pad thai and it wasn't too difficult to make. I hope that I can make it some day on my own, but it's always easier with the instructor there and most everything already part-way prepared and set for you! After the "fried" dish, we made our appetizer. I picked spring rolls. This too was easy to make; a lot easier than I thought. I also now know how to roll up a wrap! We made two of them and fried them. Yum. After that we made curry from scratch, starting with all the seasonings for a fresh powder. Then we made a soup and came back to finish making the curry. It was a busy cooking day, but fun. It was also nice because we didn't have to do the dishes!
Pad Thai
Our "babies"
Making our own paste for the curry
Cooking class!
Soup and curry
I asked to be dropped off at a different location, instead of being taken to my resort. I wanted to have some time to explore a little bit more before meeting Oh Mee. I walked around a little and then decided I should try and get some wifi so I could confirm and get updates from Oh Mee. I figured Starbucks would have wifi so I went to Starbucks and ordered a drink only to find out the wifi wasn't free there! I had my drink and then went in search of wifi elsewhere. I couldn't find any, so I sat in the big square and waited for Oh Mee in hopes that we would meet easily. After waiting a little bit, I saw her walking down the street and was quite relieved to see her! We returned to Starbucks and she ordered a drink. There we caught up and talked about her tour program. Next we walked to a market area near where she had stayed the week before. We got dinner and then headed back to our hotel.
I liked the quote "Can't get lost if you don't care where you are"
Stir Fry
Reunited with Oh Mee!

No comments:

Post a Comment