Saturday, January 31, 2015

Night on the Town

In the morning I skyped with Mom and Grandpa. It's been awhile since we've connected and talked for more than a few minutes. I was so glad to see them. It is so hard to be away from them.

After we talked I decided I'd head out before I was to meet Dong Gun. I first went to a bookstore and browsed there for a few things. I wandered outside a little, but it was so cold! I had a brisk walk along Cheonggyecheon (my favorite stream) before crossing City Hall and looking for a Starbucks to sit in and warm up. I sat in the Starbucks and enjoyed people watching until it was time to meet Dong Gun. He said he wanted to have dinner right away, so I changed the location of our meeting spot and walked from City Hall to Insadong. 

We met in the subway station and I took him to a traditional Korean restaurant that Katie had shown me. After dinner we took a stroll around Insadong and looked for a makgoli jip, but didn't find anything. We wandered back towards Jongno area and Dong Gun said we were on our own Camino del Santo Domingo. Finally we found a place for makgoli and also got kimchi cheon (pancake, for lack of better word) as a side. It was fun talking over makgoli and he showed me a video clip of when he was on TV in Peru! He's had a very interesting life and traveled quite a bit.

Next we went to noraebang, a singing room. Koreans love karaoke and they're all pretty good singers. I was a bit hesitant at first to go just 2 people (normally big groups go) but I remembered that Jeong Kwan and I had fun when we went in Gimhae just the two of us so I said we could try. For 1 hour and 5,000W we sang a bunch of songs, but it was hard because he didn't know many American pop songs and I definitely can't sing any Korean ones. We did try one Korean song I knew, but it was by a young female artist so he joked that he was going to change into a girl to sing the song. 

After singing, we decided to walk around a little bit more and search for something else to eat. It was not too late at night and I was surprised how empty the downtown area was. It was also one of the only times I've been downtown that late at night so it was really nice. I mean, I've been there in the evenings, but it felt a little bit different since it was quieter. We wandered towards City Hall and were headed towards Namdaemun, but I realized there wouldn't be much in that area. I suggested turning towards Myeongdong so we headed that way and found a cafe. We had tea and talked a little bit more before going to the subway station to find the subways had all stopped running. We got taxis to take us in our separate directions.
City Hall
Shaking the Makgoli
Makgoli and kimchi cheon. Staples from my Inje Days
Noraebang
Cheonggyecheon with lanterns

No comments:

Post a Comment