Summer Camp is here! I got to school and...couldn't find my USB which led me into a panic. Luckily I was able to find the powerpoints I needed on the teachers' website so only a mild crisis. Only 3 of the 6 signed up 5th graders came. On one hand it was nice because it's so small and easy to manage, but at the same time it's really difficult to do any of the activities I planned with 3. We couldn't even play pair games (except when I joined which made it difficult when they couldn't understand something on their own) really. There were 2 girls (one was in my camp last year and I really like her) and one boy, who's definitely a special guy. He was swinging a cushion around and broke one of the tassels off so I had him write an apology to the homeroom teacher we are borrowing's classroom.
When camp finished I stuck around til 2 with my COT, even though she said off the records it's okay if I leave before 2. She had to stay and work and I figured it would be better if I stayed, especially on the first day. She's a bit worried because the 3rd graders level is quite low. I hope it will go okay when I get them next week.
I left at 2 and went home to get some things done there. I was going to walk to Hongdae but decided since I had a later start I'd just take the subway. I met up with Jacob and we went to Oodle Noodle for dinner. I ordered the chicken terriyaki and Jacob got the Pad Thai, but spicy. He said it was good, but the spice killed the Pad Thai taste. After dinner, we walked back to his guesthouse. Once we got close to his guesthouse, we stopped on the sidewalk and started having a serious discussion just about being frustrated in Korea etc. We were right in front of a small cafe and there was a girl, an employee, that went up to the window and was staring at us, pointing and laughing. Jacob got really angry and was going to go in and yell at her, but I said there wouldn't be any point and convinced him to let it go. We got to his guesthouse and did some travel research. Jacob walked me to the bus and when I was almost home he called me and asked me to guess where he had just gone. Well, he went back to that cafe and went to talk to the girl. He confronted her about why she was laughing (she denied it, but was also apologizing). She was so nervous she was shaking and almost started crying. He wasn't really mean or anything, he just said he wanted to know what was so funny and why was she staring and laughing. The thing we've noticed is that Koreans tend to do the staring and watching the scene unfold, but if anything happens or their confronted about the situation, they can't handle it. So at least he handled it in a better manner than if he had gone right after it happened and was really angry. She couldn't answer him beyond "man, woman talking". So that made for an interesting evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment