Sunday, July 27, 2014

Soccer Sunday

I had an uneventful morning, but I headed over to Jacobs to have an early-ish lunch at the kimbap shop. I ordered jap chae (the noodles and vegetables) but the dish came out really greasy. We also shared a line of beef kimbap. After lunch we took a short break at his place before heading out to soccer. We were at a new location, so we wanted to go with plenty of time to find the field.

We were playing at a high school in Itaewon and apparently, the team from that high school is the best in Korea. They had a really nice full field with new turf, but we weren't playing on the big field but the small futsal field in the back. I'm getting ahead of myself. So Jacob and I arrived in Itaewon and decided we'd walk to the school because it was only 3 bus stops away and it would be a good warm up. It took a little bit longer/seemed a little further than we expected but it wasn't bad. When we arrived at the school grounds, there was a gatekeeper and we had to sign in. There was a steep hill we hiked up and saw the beautiful full field. Stefano was already there running around so we chatted with him and waited for the others. We were thinking that we weren't at the right spot, so we started walking to look for the other place. We saw Felix across the field and at the bottom of the hill waving to us, so it was nice to be directed a bit.

The futsal field was older and not as nice, but still a good size. At first we only had 8 people, but more trickled in so we had around 11. Then the high school boys came back-John wanted them there so we didn't get heat exhaustion running around so much, though some of us were a little disgruntled because we would have less playing time. I had one of them kick me and it managed to go from my ankle 3/4 of the way up to almost my knee. It was red, but by the end of the day it was already looking much better. At 6, when soccer was over, no one else came to claim the field so we stayed another 30-45 minutes longer playing.

After soccer, Jacob and I were going to take the bus to Itaewon Station and find dinner. As we were walking back Young Min, in his car, stopped to say bye and invited us for a drive-it was nice he took us to the station. We walked down one of the back streets to look at places to eat. A lot looked good, but I always forget how expensive Itaewon is. I think they can get away with their prices sometimes because people go to Itaewon knowing its the international district and believe (sometimes its true though) it's the only place they'll be able to have these dishes (and have them done well) or foods. But it's quite ridiculous. Anyway, we ended up going back to Chili King. I wanted something healthy so I thought I'd try the spinach dip served with veggies. When it came out I was really disappointed. There was hardly any dip and there were only 3 kinds of veggies (though the menu boasted of 5-6) and some of the veggies were slimy and no good. I had already eaten some of it before I noticed the slimy ones so I didn't know if I could send it back or complain. We were going to get dessert at this pie shop, but a tiny little pie was 8, almost 9,000W!!! I could get something like that from Sandra Kay's for HALF the price! We decided while it looked good and probably tasted pretty good it just wasn't worth it. We headed home and it was nice to get in at an earlier hour. I showered which felt amazing after playing soccer for 2 hours in 80 degree heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment