Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Open Class Day

Well, today was a big day at school. I had my "open class" which is when the principal, vice principals and other teachers can come in during class and observe. My coteacher made it out to seem a lot more scary than it really was. My principal literally stuck his head in the room for 2 seconds and left. The vice principals both stayed for maybe 2 minutes. The class' homeroom teacher watched for maybe a total of 4 minutes and my main coteacher watched for a minute or two also. After the open class my coteacher told me there was a meeting I had to go to. So I went with her. After the meeting she told me that I didn't have to go but she wanted to show me that she has to go to these meetings with other teachers.

We had a 'staff' dinner. It was all the 12 teachers in my office plus the principal, vice principals and the main head teacher. We went for Shabu Shabu which is a soup you cook in front of you. They bring broth and boil it. Then you add vegetables (mostly mushrooms and leafy greens like cabbage) and thinly sliced beef. After you eat most of that, you add noodles. I have had shabu shabu before, but the last part they did was completely new to me. They had the remaining broth and added a cup of cooked rice and a raw egg. The egg cooked quickly and the rice soaked up the broth and it was like a creamy egg-y rice porridge. I really liked it. I found out that one of the teachers in my office is 7 months pregnant! I never knew because she usually wears flowy and loose clothing. She also is still quite tiny. It was hard to believe I didn't know!

After dinner, Kwang Min came to visit and we got ice cream at Baskin Robbins. We came back to my place and he helped me study some Korean.

No comments:

Post a Comment