Saturday, September 7, 2013

Daejeon Saturday



Bohye helped me look for some crates to assemble and put up as storage at my place. We found a set of 6 boxes for only around $16! And it turned out she had a coupon as well, so it was only around $10! I was going to pay her for them, but her mom said it would be a house warming gift. We had breakfast and then I was whisked off by Pastor Kim to the nearby bus station to go visit Ginger in Daejeon. I can’t remember if I mentioned already, but about 10 days ago Ginger’s dad had a heart attack while she was home in Arizona. She returned to Korea on her already purchased ticket but came back with the intent to leave Korea shortly. Anyway, she wanted me to come down and help keep her on track and motivated to pack and get rid of things. I know it would be important for me to go and help her out.

The bus ride was uneventful. I slept part of the way there. It took about 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to Daejeon. I arrived and met Ginger. We went to get lunch first. We didn’t know what to order; Ginger was having a hard time deciding because she knew she was leaving Korea soon and had to get food she won’t be able to eat in the US.  She ended up getting Samgyetang (the baby chicken with rice and ginger that I had when I was in Jinju with Jenny and her Mom). I got mandu soup because when I tried ordering bibimbap, the ajushi’s (older men) at the table next to us told me NOT to get it…

From lunch we went to her office to work on tackling that. She also had to go and discuss with her Dean about her situation and what to do regarding her contract. She was gone for almost an hour. We stayed there until after 8 cleaning and organizing. Ginger gave me a lot of office supplies and other little things from her office.

We went to her ‘apartment’ which is basically dormitory housing for professors at her university. She did a little bit of organizing there and then we went for dinner. For dinner, we chose to go to “Seo Rae” which is a bbq (chain) restaurant. It’s so good! After dinner, we passed an arcade of sorts and paid to do the “shooting range” game. Ginger wanted to eat mint “bing su” which is the shaved ice dessert, so we went to her favorite café but when I ordered it, the worker said, “I can’t”. We don’t know if  he meant they were all out or what. Instead we went to Café Benne which is a chain and got a fruit yogurt bing su which was pretty good.

After coming back to her place, we did some more organizing and watched tv on her computer. She also got a call from her Mom and helped talk things through on the home-front. Ginger is the oldest of 4; her youngest brother is 17. 

Gingers Samgyetang

Pomegranate Tree!

Grilling meat at our diner

Our YogurtFruit Bingsu

No comments:

Post a Comment