Sunday, September 15, 2013

Relaxing Day

Ah, Sunday's are usually so nice and peaceful. I woke up and skyped with Joe again. I had taken pictures of my students during the week and was trying to come up with a way to arrange their pictures with their seating chart to help me learn their names and recognize faces, but it was much more difficult than I anticipated. I decided I would leave it to be work to do at school since my plans are all ready for this short week (2 days for the holiday) and next week (3 days because of the school founding day and a floating holiday) and part of the following week. It's also school related work.

I was starting to get ready when I received a message from an Inje University friend!! I call him "Captain Sailor Moon"--but his English name is James. He is currently living and working in China, but is back in Korea for the holiday. I called him and we had a short window of time to meet up, so I grabbed my soccer stuff and left right away to meet him near Gyeongbok Palace. We had coffee at a Starbucks and I tried having a drink made with soy milk instead of regular milk. I'm not sure if James understood and asked for the soy or got regular, but after we met my stomach did hurt a little. So I guess I will experiment one or two more times with the soy and see what happens. We took a walk around Gyeongbok and actually down a street that leads towards the "Blue House" (where the Korean president lives). James and I were walking and talking and then we passed some police (they are everywhere in this area because of the location to the Blue House) and we were stopped by one of the guards. He asked me in Korean if I was a Korean person. Luckily James spoke to them for me and told them we were just taking a walk and that I was adopted. They let us keep going on our way. We stopped around a museum I'd been to before and had a nice view of the mountain behind the Blue House. James had a plan to meet another friend, so we had to walk back to the subway. I said goodbye to him there because if I got on the orange I'd have to transfer about 4 times to get to soccer. Instead I walked a little bit extra so I could get a line near City Hall and transfer only once.

When I was making my transfer, I spotted one of the adoptees I met last week playing soccer. He was also making his way to soccer. We chatted on the way to the World Cup Stadium. Soccer was fun this week-we had 11 people show up, so it was nice having a few more people. I didn't score any goals but did stop a shot when I had to take a turn in goal. (I was talking to the adoptee I ran into at the subway and he told me that I had been a key player on our team tonight--once I left he said the team fell apart! It was such a nice complement) Again, I had to leave early to get to church. It's so disappointing to me that my 2 favorite things fall on the same day and overlap in time. I got to church and again the 3 priests from last week said mass.
Captain Sailor Moon and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment