Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Bit of a Frustrating Day

Classes went alright-I used a more up-to-date song and I think the 6th graders enjoyed it. My co-teacher yelled at one class because one student was sassing her and saying he didn't need her to translate when she was explaining the lyrics. He also spoke very rudely, talking "down" to her (Korean uses varying degrees of formality and there are rules for how you should talk and address those older than you, especially your teacher).

After my 5th class, I was working on lesson plans and my co teacher told me that our open class (we will be observed by others from the school) schedule had changed. I realized class 6-4 is my favorite, and it turned out they were our open class. And then, we had to pick a different class. A few minutes later she returned and told me that in addition to the first two classes tomorrow being cancelled (which I already knew about) the other two were also cancelled! So tomorrow is going to be an easy day--8 hours of lesson planning and online training are in store for me. It would be nice not to have to go at all since I'm not really doing anything, but I still have to be at school.

I came home and collected my grocery list and headed to Emart. It was so frustrating because it is 8 stories (food in the basement and on the first 2 floors, 3 &4 have clothes, 5 is kitchen/home, 6 is appliances, 7 is sporting and 8 is food court...) and the only way to move from floor to floor is taking escalators (not stairs, but a ramp) and if you are behind a shopping cart, the only thing you can do is wait until you arrive at the next floor. It's was also difficult for me to find what I needed and navigate through the store. It wasn't so bad when I first arrived around 5, but by 5:30 it was really crowded and then I had to weave through the people. I spent over an hour looking for all the things I needed (couldn't find them all). Finally, I come home, and start preparing my peach cobbler. Cut up the peaches, mix my ingredients. Then, I go to preheat my oven. I finish with the prepping and go to put the cobbler in the oven. It's cold. It was on for about 10-15 minutes and it didn't heat. I looked all over the oven to see if there was some kind of safety/starting button. Nothing. My friend Sung Min called me to see if he could help at all with the oven. He even called Homeplus to ask them about how to use it. He said they weren't very friendly. Anyway, I chalked it up as a loss and stuck the prepared cobbler in the fridge. I don't know if I will be able to use it later or not. Sung Min suggested taking it back and returning it.

So much for my baking night! :(
My non-working toaster oven!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amy Can you check if you had power on the circuit by plugging in a lamp or any other electrical item. Cold be acircuit breaker or fue. Whoever sayd taking it back was right. Love and good luck with the next oven.

    ReplyDelete