Thursday, November 7, 2013

Eight Years without Dad

Today the high schoolers were taking their college entrance examinations so all of Korea was on standby to work around their test schedule. Flight schedules were changed so no planes took off during the listening part of the exam and companies had a delayed start time, which included me, to avoid rush-hour traffic on the freeway so students could make it to their testing centers on time.  I didn’t have to go to school until 9:30 which was nice so I got to talk to my Mom and Martin on the 8th anniversary of Dad’s passing. The only sad thing is knowing that there are always high numbers of suicides after the test because of the pressure students felt after taking the test or if they felt they did poorly on them. They are trying to get into one of the top 3 universities in Korea, known as “SKY” (Seoul National University, Korea University and Yonsei University).

I had a nice easy day with my 5th graders today. Our schedule was a little bit different because we came to school an hour later. Other than that, nothing too exciting.

After school I just took a rest and later in the evening Jacob came over and brought dinner. We talked and I showed him the video/pictures of the family and Dad. We also talked about taking a trip together in January when I have my winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment