This morning I was able to skype with Grandpa and then Mom. It was great. I think it's only been about 2 weeks since we talked last, but it was 2 weeks too long! I really enjoyed having time to catch up with both of them.
After the skype session, I went to go see Jacob's new place. I got off at the subway station and was waiting for him, figuring he would have arrived and I sent a message checking the station. He told me it was a different one, so I started looking for a community bus or bus stop to go to the next subway station. Once I crossed the street, he called me and asked why I had crossed the street-I looked up and saw him and his friend Min Jin (he's living with her family and her, on the weekends) waving at me. I went back and he said he kept getting subway stops mixed up.
We returned to his place and he gave me a little tour. Sounds like he and Troy might only stay for a few months there, but they want to see how everything goes. It's a nice apartment; his friend Min Jin grew up there. Her brother and sister live there and she comes on the weekends. Min Jin's brother's birthday was yesterday and her Mom forgot! She lives about 2 hours outside of Seoul, but she came in to celebrate and make up for forgetting. Her Mom's sister arrived and started cleaning and cooking a little bit.
Jacob and I ran out to the grocery store to kind of check out the neighborhood a little. He got a few things and when we returned, Min Jin's mom was there. They were cooking some food. Shortly after, Min Jin's sister returned from work. The other day her mom made kimchi and she wanted to have bossam (steamed pork) with the kimchi. Jacob wanted to leave, but as we tried to go, they said we should stay and eat. We had a little bit to eat and then ducked out.
We walked to Sinchon, maybe about a 10 minute walk or so. We went to Starbucks for a coffee-since I can't drink milk and they're the only coffee shop that uses soy milk. We sat in the coffee shop for a while trying to figure out what to have for dinner. We ended up just walking around in the cold thinking of different places. Jacob decided TGI Fridays, but we got to the complex it is in and realized it's no longer there! I next suggested Outback and we went there to split a meal. After dinner, we returned to his place and sat on the playground of his apartment complex and talked for a bit.
When I got too cold, we went back in to warm up. Min Jin arrived and we talked with her. She gave us a piece of cake that they had for her brother's birthday. I took the subway home and, as I was kind of expecting, it took longer than the bus from the other place. I thought it should be kind of quick, but I missed the subway and had to wait 10 minutes for the next one to come. Then, when I get to my station, I have to walk about 6-7 minutes home. It might be worth looking for a bus that will drop me off close to home instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment