Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Time with MK

Work went alright. Only one more day of having to desk warm! For lunch, we went to a restaurant near school. I went with the other vice principal and 2 other women. We ran into other teachers at the restaurant; I don't know if it was planned or a surprise. I ordered 만두국 /mandu guk/ dumpling soup. The others got noodle soup made from sesame seed leaves, so I was so thankful there was another option (I don't like the taste/flavor of the leaves). I was worried there would be 깻잎 /kkae nip/ sesame seed leaf inside my dumplings, but I was lucky and there was not any. Again I had to practice my Korean a little bit with them, but mostly they talked quickly amongst themselves so I just ate and didn't converse with them.

I was supposed to meet my 언니 /unni/ older sister today, but she sent me a message and told me that she caught a cold and wouldn't be able to meet. Over the weekend she and Jaebin (her son) went skiing. He had hurt his arm back in January, but she said it was all better now. I decided I'd see what MK (Min Kyung) was up to for the evening. She didn't have any plans so we were set to meet. She works until 6:30 so we decided we would meet around 7:15 in the Itaewon/Noksapyeong area near her home. After work, I took a rest at home and did some cleaning (trying to stay on top of a current mold problem).

We met up and walked to a Korean fusion restaurant she had looked up, but they were really busy and there was a long wait so we kept walking in search of another place. We finally found a Korean restaurant and MK said she'd buy dinner if I bought coffee after. I ordered bulgogi in a hotpot and she ordered the same thing Jacob and I had eaten at the restaurant we went to on Friday (the dwenjang jjigae-soybean paste stew with bibimbap). We also ordered a green onion 'pancake', 천 /cheon/; everything was delicious. It was great catching up with her. After meeting with MK, I always feel so lucky to have her as a friend. When we finished dinner, we looked for a cafe and chatted in there for a bit before I headed home for the night.
Dinner with MK

No comments:

Post a Comment