Another day of camp-the last one of full teaching. The biggest excitement came at the start of class. I had a 6th grade boy come into my room and tell me that he had kicked a soccer ball on the roof. The classroom I was using was above one of the two entrances of the school so there is a big overhang. That means outside my window there is a flat area of 10x12 maybe. Then along the windows of all the rest of the classrooms there's a 8 inch space and then a ledge that is about 4 inches wide that runs to the end of the other school entrance that also has the overhang. So of course the boy kicked the ball on the roof of the overhang that is on the other side of the school, probably about 20-30 yards away. I went out to get the ball (pretty sure it would be a bad idea to have the 6th grader get it!) except the 8 inch space had standing water and some wires in it so I didn't really want to walk through that. I ended up going up on the ledge and held on to some railing that goes along the windows. As I got up on the ledge the sports teacher that was doing the baseball camp in the school yard started yelling at me (maybe didn't realize I was a teacher, maybe just telling me to be careful, I'm not really sure). I made it to the other end, threw down the soccer ball and then made my way back.
When camp finished, I went to go meet Krystle in Myeongdong. We were going to grab lunch and on the bus I was trying to figure out what we could eat that was vegetarian. On the bus, I passed the street that had a tofu stew restaurant I knew of and figured that would be a good option. We met in the subway and I asked if she had tried it before and she agreed to try it. When I went to order, I asked if there was no meat in the dish and then the waitress replied and talked some more....and then Krystle and I looked at each other and Krystle said, "she's not speaking Korean is she?" Turns out she started speaking Mandarin...I didn't think my Korean was that bad! Finally we got her to understand our order and the food came shortly after. It was a little bit spicy, but good.
After lunch, we walked around Myeongdong. Krystle's mission: to find face masks. She had just recently discovered the addicting and cheap face treatment of face masks and wanted to buy as many as she could before she leaves Korea. I got a bit sucked in and ended up getting a 10 + 10 deal for 9,500W as well. We finished face mask shopping and then went to the dessert cafe I went to on my birthday for a triple chocolate bingsu. It was a delicious treat. We chatted a bit and then headed out. We wandered through the Lotte Young Plaza (shopping) and Jacob met us there. He got out of work a little bit early because he had to go in early due to an 'emergency' at the office; he was needed there. Jacob and I wandered a bit before heading to our meeting place with Min Kyung. We ended up grabbing a table at School Food and waiting for her with a table. It was so good to see her-I think it was back in mid-June that we met last, for her birthday. She had just gotten back from a trip to Indonesia, Hong Kong and Singapore with her little brother. We chatted a bit and then walked around outside because it was so nice out. I was really surprised because she wanted to spend so much time with us. It's about an hour commute home for her and I thought she'd be off to go back to her husband, but maybe it was a nice distraction from her dad's health problems too. He's still in the ER after suffering from his second stroke. MK wanted to show us a new part of Deoksu Palace that has been opened up to the public, but that part was closed. She also then wanted to get coffee, but Jacob and I were both tired and said coffee would keep us awake this late. We said goodbye at the subway. I'm glad I got to see MK before heading home.
No comments:
Post a Comment