Thursday, March 13, 2014

BIG GAME

It was hard to get through the school day because I was so excited for our soccer game. I had 3, 4th grade classes and one 5th grade class--I've heard this is the "worst" class of the 5th grade. They lived up to their bad name too.

After work I stopped at a bakery to get a snack for Jacob and me before soccer and came home. Jacob's 2 centers he teaches at are now in my "gu" (/구/ district) 2 subway stops away. He went to meet the centers and then came over before soccer. It had started out warm during the day, but it sprinkled and got windy so it really cooled off.

We went to soccer a bit early so we could warm up thoroughly. Strangely the field lights weren't on, so we warmed up in the dark. This was a big game for us because the team we were playing against was ranked 1st in the league. If we beat them, then we'd be first in the league. Once everyone arrived and the lights got turned on, we heard from their captain and the league organizer that they needed some people because they only had 2 people from their own team and borrowed several other players. It's kind of unfair that it isn't an automatic win for us when we donate our own players and they can't field a team of their own roster. We played well--Jacob had an absolutely beautiful goal and everyone was talking about how awesome it was. I ended up playing in goal for the last half of the first half. When we started the second half, no one was willing to go in goal, so I went back in goal for another half of the time. Finally after we scored another goal I announced loudly "does anyone want to go in goal now?!" and Felix was nice enough to step in. Then it was game on. I hadn't done much running so I still had a lot of energy and moved around the field a bit. Then, Jacob set me up for a goal and out of the corner of my eye I see another teammate Ray come running up and he tried for the ball but he missed--but it's okay because I was on the back post and slid to knock it in! I was ecstatic--my first goal for the league! We won the game 5-2. After the game, Jacob and I grabbed some dinner.
Jacob and me after the game
Our matching boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment