Friday, May 30, 2014

Finally Phil arrives!

I got another email from Phil in the morning saying they were delayed again and best case scenario would be that they arrived around 8:45pm; worst case was looking at arriving on Saturday. Luckily, they got off without any more hiccups and I checked United's website and watched their plane progress throughout the day.

Work was hard to get through because I was anxious for Phil to arrive. I was lucky because I needed to go in and pick up the results from my medical check up, so I had official leave at 2pm. Again, I took a bus to Yonsei; this time it took a little bit longer (different bus) but I still arrived in plenty of time. I picked up the results and talked to the doctor-I have a clean bill of health. After "consulting" the doctor, I looked for a Daiso to buy some kind of wrapping for Kristin's birthday present. I came across a bag that was a cooler/heater (insulated bag) and it folded flat so I thought it would work perfectly for them. I headed to Hongdae and wandered around there until Jacob got off of work. We went to a restaurant right next to the GOAL office. I ordered a bibimbap-it was really good. After dinner, we walked back to his guesthouse to take a rest before meeting Phil in Hongdae around 10:15. At the guesthouse, he had a present for me-it was a package from Jenny, my Korean roommate. He had tried to get her to come up to Seoul for my birthday, but since she is leaving for Sri Lanka on the 2nd, she wasn't able to spend her last weekend in Korea with me. Instead, she mailed a watch to him to give to me for my birthday. It was such a nice, sweet surprise.

We headed into Hongdae and went to Subway to get a sandwich for Phil and Kristin. I figured they'd be hungry and probably wanting some familiar food after traveling so long. Jacob and I waited near the subway exit for them about 30 minutes past the original set time, but only because we figured they wouldn't have made it in by 10:15 anyway. Finally, I see them appearing up from the subway, looking at a map to figure out which way to go. I walked up to the exit and surprised them. It was great to see them and get hugs from both of them. We walked to their guesthouse to drop off their bags. There was a few issues at their place-first the guy gave them a room key, but the room already had an inhabitant! So we had to get a different key, to a different room. Next, the room didn't have the remote for the aircon! So they had to hunt that down.

After everything was all settled in the guesthouse, we went back out because they wanted to get a drink. We had passed a WaBar, so we went there. Phil and Kristin ordered 2 different Korean beers to try. We also had to order a side, so we got a fruit dish with ice and juice in the bottom. It was pretty good. Jacob and I taught/wrote some helpful Korean words and phrases out for them and we talked through the plan for tomorrow.

A little after midnight, Jacob and I took off because we were both so exhausted! We were able to wish Kristin a happy birthday right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment