This morning I woke up around 4am and could not fall back asleep. I figured I might as well shower, make some breakfast and get started on my day if I couldn't sleep. I headed to work a little bit early so I could prepare for the classes for the day and for tomorrow since I had to leave right after I finished teaching today.
The two classes teaching "solo" (with the homeroom teachers in it) went okay. The first teacher did not participate and was not involved at all, which was fine with me. We did end a little bit early which I felt awkward and bad about. The second teacher I had to go to their classroom. This teacher wanted to help and she did her best to translate some things as I went along. The other classes also went okay. After lunch I had a short meeting with my COT to go over the lesson for tomorrow. As soon as I finished teaching, I got my stuff and jetted out. I was really concerned about making it to the appointment on time. I looked up some buses that would get me to Sinchon the fastest, but I had to walk to the bus stop for about 10 minutes. I found the bus stop and was lucky the bus I needed pulled up almost immediately.
The campus of Yonsei is quite large, but the hospital sticks out. I went to the International Health Clinic (IHC) where I made an appointment so I could have an English speaking doctor. And then the frustrations began. The IHC told me that I could not do a basic medical check there and needed to go to the Visa renewal part for the check up. The Visa people sent me the Family Medicine (told me the wrong floor so I had to search for it). Family Medicine couldn't speak English so they talked on the phone with IHC trying to figure out everything. Then I got a translator and signed into the hospital. I was updating Jacob with my situation and he said it didn't sound right that the IHC couldn't/wouldn't do it. So he called them and asked as if he were needing a check if he could do it there. They said yes. So I went back to the IHC to see if they would do it. Again they said no and sent me up to Family Medicine again. I got a new translator because my other one needed to leave. This took about 45 minutes. The new translator and I then went on a "scavenger hunt" around the giant medical complex to get each different area checked by different clinic areas and doctors (eyes, ears/nose/throat, xray, blood draw, skin etc). That took us about an hour to complete. I was so frustrated and crabby after that. I walked to Hongdae to meet Jacob. We went to Oodle Noodle to pick up dinner to take back to his parents.
We had dinner in their kitchen at the guesthouse and it was nice to chat with them about their past few days. After dinner, I headed home, quite exhausted after such a long day.
No comments:
Post a Comment