Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lions Club Farewell Dinner

Nothing too exciting at school. There were some computer desks along the window and they were never used but the students always played with them. As it turned out, they finally took them out. So, we had to go to the students' homerooms for 2 class periods. I love teaching the 4th graders because they're so excited about English and the activities. I had a writing game where they had to pick one word out of 6 on the screen. Hidden behind each word were "stars"; they needed to collect stars for points. You would have thought they won the lottery when the word they wrote had 6 stars behind it! "YAAAAAYYYYY!!!" Haha.

After work, I stopped at home briefly. Then I went to one subway station to meet Jacob. We went to the Gwanghwamun area to meet up with the Lions Club. As we left the subway station, an elderly gentleman asked me which direction Gwanghwamun was. At first listen, I didn't understand him and was just going to shake my head and hands and keep going; Jacob was still in motion too. But he said it again and I spoke a little Korean and pointed the direction to him. I felt happy that I helped him.

We waited for the group to arrive and saw them entering the building next to where we were standing. Jacob and I walked over there and saw the InKAS president; even though Jacob works for her they're not on good terms because he also works for GOA'L (and she despises GOA'L). So, it was a little bit awkward. She was so surprised to see us there too, but Mr. Kwon greeted both of us with big hugs. He pulled Jacob aside as we were walking to dinner and said "whatever you do, don't mention you work for that other ogranization!" We kind of chuckled and said we know, and she already knows that he works there.

The dinner was at a nice Italian place. We were greeted warmly by the Korean Lions. I saw one elderly member who I remember from my trip. He actually went out with all the guys and me to watch some of the World Cup soccer game that was being played at City Hall in the rain! Jacob and I sat at one of the "kids" tables. I also ran into another adoptee, Adam. I met him in Chicago at the Lions Club picnic in 2012 and randomly re-met him in Korea through my friend Krystle and her friend Tina. (Small, small world!) He was surprised to see me there. His brother was on the tour so he was visiting with him. Jacob was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the president there; she also kept glaring at us I think. But he decided he'd stay after all. The Lions Club members had some speeches and Ms. Kish was given a special award as an honorary Lion. Then we were flooded with InKAS propaganda and a major plug for them. (They help provide touring stuff for the trip; volunteers and some planning) Dinner was broccoli soup, a salad and a small, thin steak with some vegetables. After dinner some Korean Lions were leaving and Jacob and I thought it would be a good time for us to duck out too. I said my goodbyes and got hugs. It turns out Mr. Kwon will be here 2 more weeks, so I'm hoping I'll be able to see him a few more times before he leaves. Though he is staying longer because his older brother is sick and he's not sure when he will be back in Korea.

After dinner we went back to Jacob's area. He stopped at Burger King to get a snack and we sat and ate in the park. We went to his guesthouse so I could fill up some water bottles before I grabbed a bus to come home. I ended up staying up til 1 to watch the US-Germany soccer game.
The Lion that I met in 2010
Giving Ms. Kish her honorary award
Mr. Kwon giving a very heartfelt speech-as always.
That's my baby.
Steak dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment