Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Terrible Tuesdays

What a long day of teaching. I had my tough class of 6th graders and after them one of the worse 5th grade classes. It's sad because that 5th grade class hadn't been so bad, but recently they've taken a turn for the worse. One boy had his cellphone in class and I asked to have it during the class period. He thought it was funny and was hiding it and wouldn't give it to me, so I told him he would have to 1. Give me the phone and 2. Wait after class (this period is right before lunch) for wasting our time. At the end of class I made him stay and he seemed a little bit unsure of himself and not as class clown-like. My coteacher said he seemed a little scared to be alone and have to stay.

The first class after lunch has one boy I had been struggling to reach and had the turn-around in the past month. I make it an effort to praise him as often as I can since he's been doing so well.

On Monday I had my friend MK order rain boots for me through her account and have them mailed to my address. While I was at school I got a text message saying the package would be delivered between 11-1 and if I wasn't going to be there could I send permission to leave it with my building doorman. I responded (with more help from MK) that it would be fine. When I returned home, I saw my package! I tried on my blue rain boots-they're a little on the bigger side, but I think it will be okay.

After work I came home and started working on dinner. I had a lot of veggies that I didn't want to go to waste. I made stuffed mushrooms, meatballs, homemade tomato sauce and pasta. Everything turned out pretty well. Again I was able to use the second burner, but it  still took me an hour and a half to get everything completed. I think having the small work space puts a hamper on my efficiency and slows me down some. At least I hope so. Jacob arrived as I was finishing everything up. It has now become routine that he does the dishes after I cook. He was looking for a translator for his friend and I remembered my volunteer from the mentoring program, EunHa. He gave her a call and they chatted a bit to work things out. I was glad to have helped his friend out with a good translator.
Dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment