Wednesday, June 25, 2014

LIONS CLUB REUNION!

 Right before I had my first class walk in, I noticed I was getting a call from Mr. Kwon! I answered and chatted with him briefly. He told me the Lions Club group was going to the DMZ tour and having dinner and going to a show in the evening and I could join. He said he'd call back later.

Classes went fine-our 4th period was cancelled because they were having an educational video for the students to watch I guess. At lunch Mr. Kwon called back and I also talked with Jason. He told me to meet them at their hotel when I was finished with work. The afternoon passed slowly-I was so excited to see some familiar faces.

I took the bus and made my way to their hotel. I arrived a few minutes before them and saw the bus pull up. The first one off the bus was Ms. Kish. She was also a chaperon for my trip, though she is not a Lions Club member. She gave me a big hug. I saw Mr. Kwon next and got a big hug from him. :) He introduced me to some of the kids before they went to their rooms to freshen up. I also got a hug from Jason. Brenton participated in my group as well and was there as a "role model"/cool guy for the participants I guess. There were also 3 women that were in their 40's+. One of them lives in Grand Rapids and is active in an adoptee group that I know of. She actually heard about the trip through me when I posted information about it. I felt kind of proud to have contributed to the group numbers.

Jacob was going to meet us for dinner, but when I found out the show was in Hongdae, I figured it would make more sense for him to just stay there and skip dinner since he was running late from work too. The group walked to a Chinese restaurant in the area. We all got jjajangmyeon (a kind of black bean sauce with noodles) and shared mandu and sweet and sour pork for dinner. It was pretty good. When dinner was over, we walked to the subway and headed to Hongdae. I felt like the expert telling them to stand on the left side of the car because the doors to Hongdae would open on that side.

We met up with Jacob outside the exit and I introduced him to Mr. Kwon first. Then as we were walking he also met Ms. Kish. Who told him to take care of me or she would beat him up. She's a character for sure. I introduced him to Jason as we got closer to the venue for the BBOY (break dancing) show. It turns out Jacob had already seen the show last year, but it was still a free performance for us. It was okay, but the seats were just benches which was really uncomfortable. My leg started cramping up really bad. There was one performer that looked like our friend Todd from the mentoring program. It was a story about these high school kids and them fighting and becoming friends at the end even though they're all different (jocks, geeks, etc).

After the show, we got some pictures and went our different ways. I ended up walking back part of the way with Jacob and taking a bus home.
Mr. Kwon and me!
Got to introduce Jacob to my Chicago Appa!
Mini 2010 Reunion! L-R: Brenton, Jason, Mr. Kwon, me and Ms. Kish

No comments:

Post a Comment