Friday, September 12, 2014

Another old reconnection

Earlier in the week I got a message from a Korean I met through my Korean roommate at Kyunghee University. Her name is Jung Su and she studied education. Anyway, she had started a group message with some of us that had met 2 years ago asking how everyone was. She and I started talking and decided we should meet up again soon. Well, today was the day!

Work went well-my COT's are all on the same page for now, so I only had to teach one lesson for the 5th grade which was nice. In the afternoon, it got kind of dark and there was lots of thunder.

After work, I went to Jongro to meet Jung Su. I also invited Oh Mee along. She didn't have any plans until 8pm and I figured if she only knew people that were at work or something, it would be nice to have dinner with someone rather than alone. As it turned out my school was having a staff dinner, but a lot of other teachers forgot because they talked about it before Chuseok. Because of that, it wasn't a mandatory dinner. Since my COT and I decided not to go, we had to stay at school a little bit longer so we didn't meet all the teachers going to the dinner. I met up with Oh Mee and talked about her day as we waited for Jung Su to come. We went to get ddeok (rice cake) and samgypsal. It was really good-I'd never grilled ddeok before and it was really delicious. After dinner, Oh Mee had to leave to meet her other friend, Jung Su and I were going to go to Cheonggyecheon for a stroll, but it was kind of dark so we decided not to. Instead, we walked to Gwanghwamun and there was a classical music concert going on. We stood and listened for a bit. Then we went to the King Sejong Museum. We were both getting a little bit tired and she traveled a little over an hour to get into Seoul. We parted ways and said we should meet again soon. It was a little bit of a challenge to spend time with her because her English skills were not so strong, but it was great for my Korean. I always figured my listening is better than my speaking, but my reading/writing is better than my listening and I was pushed hard to communicate tonight. All the same, I had a great time and it was fun. We did end up speaking more English than Korean too.

I headed home and met Jacob to discuss our plans for the weekend. We decided to not go to Busan after all.
Dinner~ yumm!

No comments:

Post a Comment