Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Oh Mee--long time no see

I met my friend Oh Mee today. She and I met on the GOA'L homecoming program in 2009. We were able to see each other once in 2011 while I was at Inje and she visited Korea. She lives in Boston. It was fun catching up with her again.

For lunch we had dak galbi (spicy chicken stirfry). I felt a little bad because I asked what she wanted and I suggested dak galbi and then we got to the restaurant and she said she didn't really like chicken that much!

After lunch we moved on to Namdaemun. She was on the hunt for a particular gift for some people back home (kind of like a massage tool) and we figured Namdaemun would be a good place to look. We walked around for a little over an hour and at the end finally found some, but she didn't like the look of them. While we were in Namdaeum, she also was able to find other gifts for people.

I headed to Hapjeong to meet Jacob. We had decided we'd go see the movie, Lucy. First we stopped at Jamba Juice so I could get a smoothie. We sat and chatted in there until it was time for the movie. I am starting to like the assigned seats concept at Korean theaters a little bit more-it's nice to know where you will be sitting ahead of time. The movie was pretty interesting; the main bad characters were Korean and for whatever reason when they spoke in Korean, there were no translations. Luckily I knew enough to have a general idea what they said, though I'm not sure it lent itself one way or the other significantly to the plot. It was nice to have some idea of what they were saying though. I'm sure all the Koreans loved it though.

When the movie was over, we took a bus to Jacob's neighborhood to find dinner. We ended up going to a fried chicken shop that had chicken burgers. We placed our order to go (it's mostly to go anyway) and sat and waited. The owners son, 3rd grade or so, was sitting at one of the two tables in the little shop doing his homework. And when I say "doing his homework" I mean doing anything and everything EXCEPT doing his homework. He was playing with his pencil, eraser, doodling in the back of his book, starring off into space, starring at Jacob and me when we talked in English... It was kind of funny to watch him. We finally got our food and went back to his place to eat. After eating, I took the bus home. Sad the last day of the long weekend is over.
At lunch with Oh Mee!
Namdaemun shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment