Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Sunday

Happy Easter!

Jacob came over for brunch and I made "sandwiches" out of baguettes. I hollowed out some of the bread and filled it with egg and vegetables and then baked it. They turned out really good. After brunch we relaxed for a little before I had to get ready to go to soccer.

Unfortunately Jacob still can't play soccer (he has another 3 weeks or so of rest time) so I went off on my own. It's been 2 weeks since I've played (don't really count Thursday night league last week because it was so short) and I could really tell. For the first hour or so I struggled to make good passes and had bad touches on the ball. We had quite the crowd--we had 12 of our own and 6 of the high schoolers show up. One of the guys mentioned that a new girl showed up last week and asked where all the girls were. Also a few new faces--one guy named Fredrik and another named David (he watched about a month ago but didn't join). I volunteered to go in goal at one point and Fredrik looked very surprised and asked me "really?! Are you sure??" The second half I got into my rhythm a little bit more and started playing better, but there are 2 Korean brothers that play with us (friends of a Korean that plays with us) and they are ball hogs and never passed to me. 

Since we had 3 teams we were rotating 7 minutes playing time or first to get 2 goals. As it turned out, we were off before the last 7 minutes of playing time, so I took off to church a little early. I took the bus and met Jacob in Sinchon. We went to Tom n Toms for a pretzel snack and then went to church. Father Bernard had mass--Jacob mentioned that his homily's are more like lectures than homilies, but I suppose every priest has their own style and since he is a professor it probably comes more naturally to him that way. He does analyze each reading and the gospel more than really give any meaning of how we should relate it to our lives I guess, but it's still interesting to hear. Anyway, Father Bernard said that it was hard to rejoice and be happy on Easter after the events of the Sewol ship accident. He mentioned that right now if people were to tell the grieving families something along the lines, "oh, your son/daughter has been resurrected and is with Jesus now" would have no meaning to them--it's too soon and is not really all that comforting to them in this moment. I could relate and was glad he brought that up. 

After church we went for dak galbi (spicy stir fried chicken). Unfortunately the ajuma added MORE spicy sauce to our dish as it was cooking so it was really, really spicy. When we finished dinner, we walked to Natuur Pop (my favorite ice cream shop) and I finally got to have ice cream! As an added bonus, the ice cream was on sale! 
Easter Sunday Brunch
Easter Sunday brunch
At Natuur Pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment